Facts Checked By Freewill Beauty Experts - Written by Mahek Chawla (Dietitian & Nutritionist) on 25th Sep 2020
Tips on How to Get Healthy & Younger Looking Skin
Why would you want younger-looking skin?
We all know that aging is a natural process. Wrinkles, pigmentation, and all the other signs of age catching up with us, cannot be denied. Some of us, however, age prematurely, and that's when our worries might begin.
That's okay, though! One can follow some tips to look healthy and young and keep the wrinkles (and other skin woes!) away for at least a few more years. While it's great to accept one's age and own our little imperfections, there's no harm in making choices you and your skin will benefit from in the future.
Some Factors That May Cause Skin To Age Prematurely
Skin can turn unhealthy at any age due to various factors.
The broad spectrum that we consider while analyzing skin includes two factors that affect the skin's health. Intrinsic and Extrinsic.
These are the factors with various sub-factors that cause skin changes. Briefly, intrinsic causes can be auto-immune diseases, physiological disorders, genetics, diet, mental health, et al.
Whereas, extrinsic factors can be environmental exposure, physical damage, toxic cosmetics, unhygienic lifestyle, et al.
The causes are divided, and so, even the solution for these causes can be divided into the same categories. Today, considering it a need of the hour to educate people to have better skin, we need to take a holistic approach to gain the same.
Intrinsic means inside, so below are few tips mandatory to follow for an inner well being that reflects outside.
- Diet: you are what you eat! We have been bombarded with various dietary fads now and then to lose weight, have that glow, and what not! And to your surprise, the emphasis put on a balanced diet is much less than required.
According to many studies, there is a strong link between nutrition and skin. Our cells need certain foods to thrive and specific foods to enhance their functioning. Consider the below-listed foods as your prescription to have healthy and younger-looking skin.
- Vitamin C: L- ascorbic acid has become the most discussed, used, and bought vitamin, for it has unlimited things to offer.
It works on collagen synthesis, free radical damage, soothing irritations, inhibits and destroys infectious cells, et al.
FOODS: Citrus fruits (orange, sweet lime, strawberries, et al.), berries, guava, etc. vegetables like parsley, green leafy, mint, tomatoes, lemon, etc.
Good to Know
Consume raw foods rich in vitamin C as it increases the absorption of iron. Mainly, the non-heme variety is found in nuts, fruits, and vegetables.
- Vitamin E: Tocopherols, aka fat-soluble antioxidant. Attributes it works on are free radical scavenging, oxygen quencher, moisture retention, collagen crosslinking, lipid peroxidation, et al. Apart from these attributes, it also is a part of the epidermal membrane and facilitates structure formation.
FOODS: soy, corn, sunflower seeds, meat, fish oil, wheat germ, safflower oil, nuts, etc.
Good to Know
Being fat-soluble, this vitamin is absorbed only in lipid medium, ensuring a fat-rich diet.
- Carotenoids: vitamin A is the actual name, and it has different forms like carotenoids, retinol, b-carotene, etc. Photodamage, erythema, bacterial skin infections are some of its target issues. Studies have proven its effectiveness in many of its target issues, especially retinol showing its effect on acne, brighter skin, erythema, etc. Unfortunately, none of the forms are synthesized by the body and need to be taken in the diet.
FOODS: carrots, papaya, sweet potatoes, mango, pumpkin, etc. Most of the orange / yellow colored foods contain some amount of carotenoids. Dairy products like milk, probiotics, cottage cheese, etc. also have vitamin A in a more absorbable form.
- Vitamin D: the sun supplement is indirectly responsible for skin health. It is synthesized when the skin is exposed to sun rays and causes a pigment called melanin. Though it has been assumed as a causing factor for skin darkening, it is essential. It acts on cell death, i.e., boosted by an excellent immunity to ward off harmful cells. Also, it promotes bone integrity, which in turn, strengthens peptide linkage between cells.
SOURCES: sunlight, egg yolks, fatty fish, fortified grains and pulses, milk, etc. it has limited food sources but many OTC supplements.
- Protein: With aging, the major depletion observed is in the body's protein composition. Continuous wear and tear, growth, muscle enlargement, and cell death occur at an increased aging rate, requiring protein.
Furthermore, cells and tissues are made up of specific proteins and DNA; the genetic material is also a peptide-based molecule. Hence, a protein-rich diet can influence the fundamental biology of a body.
FOODS: bone broth, eggs, milk, pulses, soy protein, pea protein, poultry, etc. are rich sources and can be included very quickly in a daily diet.
Nutraceuticals are ever emerging with a plethora of multivitamins claiming to provide wholesome health. Consult your nutritionist or dietician, or a general physician before including high doses of these multivitamins.
Other Factors That Influence Health:
- Mental health: The brain is the ultimate powerhouse of our body. A stressed-out nervous system can do more damage than you can think. Hormones, digestive juices, and other secretions necessary for healthy functioning are all stimulated by the central nervous system, including the brain and spinal cord. Time and again, experts, physicians, doctors, and many others have encouraged many practices to have a healthy mental status.
- Meditation and deep breathing: the more you focus on your breathing, the more you‘ll be grateful for your blessings. Deep breathing and other breathing exercises increase your oxygen intake and retention potential so that your cells can receive more energy. It also increases blood circulation.
- Massage: De-stress and distress sound the same but are opposites! Massaging and acupressure promote de-stressing your nerves and muscles, which sends relaxing stimulations and causes an uprise in happy hormones.
Solutions that you have a complete hold on are the ones that affect your superficial health like :
- Skincare: the primary line of action to achieve the desired skin is to have a doable routine or regime that doesn’t overwhelm you.
A very basic and effective routine advocated by aestheticians and dermats is CTM. CLEANSING, TONING AND MOISTURISING is a fundamental necessity for everyone irrespective of your skin type. Below is the rationale behind this regime :
- CLEANSING: A gel-based or water-based cleanser with active ingredients for oily and combination skin is recommended. A cream-based cleanser suits best for dry skin. Cleansing is a very important step as it sloughs off the dirt, oil, or any leftover product and lets your skin breathe better.
- TONING: Seldom do we look into the depths of the things we do, but toning has become mandatory for quite a few reasons. A toner reduces the pore size post-wash as there is no further oxidation or build up in the pores left open. Various toners are available for specific issues and are affordable enough to include in your regime. The basic ingredients that a toner is composed of are also helpful in reducing pigmentation.
- MOISTURISING: Hydration! And hydration! Drink lots of water. This has been the go-to advice from all the celebrities or influencers, but external hydration is possible only with a little amount of moisturizer.
The myth that oily skin does not need moisturizer needs to be debunked. All skin types need a moisturizer in varying amounts
- 10Active ingredients: not every ingredient you see at the back of your product is working on your targeted issue. With technology and advancement, the industry and nature have so much more to offer. Active ingredients are compounds derived either naturally or synthesized to combat specific issues. They are biologically active and do not work superficially but instead seep into the dermis and work on a cellular level.
Ingredients to look for :
Hyaluronic acid: plumps and hydrates skin
Retinol: reduces fine line and wrinkles
Kojic acid: reduces hyperpigmentation
Niacinamide: cell integrity and energy-boosting vitamin
Vitamin C: brightens skin, evens tone and texture
These are a few safe and highly efficient ingredients to look for. Out of which 20% Vitamin C and 10% Niacinamide are widely popular in India. Apart from these, several other acid, chemical peels, and exfoliators opt for in a clinical setting.
- Exercise: Extensive studies have served several pieces of evidence for the public to believe in the benefits of exercise for delaying skin aging. A comprehensive survey on 50-60-year-old women was done to conclude how just by doing aerobic activity thrice a week reduced the degenerative signs of skin.
The science behind this is, increased blood flow to the peripheral tissues, increased metabolism due to muscle activity, slow degeneration of cells, increased vitality, et al. All of this leads you to younger-looking skin.
Moreover, sweating after a heavy workout also rejuvenates your skin by flushing off the toxins in the sweat. These toxins can remain accumulated in your cells without much of your attention. It becomes more important for women to indulge in aerobic activities at least twice a week because exercise also regulates hormones, and hormonal imbalance is one of the primary reasons for skin damage.
There can not be enough words to express how important it is to consider the points mentioned above for healthy and younger-looking skin, but with our efforts and your interest, you can take control of how old you appear.
We Are Signing Off With Two Awesome Tips!
SLEEP WELL KIDS! With so much that our body does, it needs a fair amount of rest to function optimally and make you look younger. Don’t let insomnia take over your wise conscience. Sleep for at least 7 hours at night without any external or internal disturbance.
SMILE MORE! No amount of makeup or brightness can accentuate your attractiveness unless you smile. Psychological studies have proved that a smiling face gives an illusion of being young and stimulates neuromuscular cells to function like a youngster.
Sign off from the digital world, stay hydrated and sleep well! ;)